“Be happy in the moment, that’s enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.” - Mother Teresa
Most people begin their busy days hurried and frazzled. The buzzing alarm, the crying kids, the barking dog, the loud TV, the rushed breakfast, and the mad dash to work.
While you may be getting your “to do” list completed daily, your heart and soul might not be getting the attention they deserve, leaving you feeling unsatisfied and incomplete.
Instead of beginning another day rushed and stressed, it’s far better to take a few minutes to set intentions for your day. Spend some of your morning routine nurturing your spirit, refreshing your soul, and listening to your heart.
If you don’t know how to get started, read on for a list of mindful ways to begin your day.
What’s Mindfulness Anyway?
First, we probably should go over what exactly mindfulness is and how it can improve your daily life.
Buddhists define mindfulness as an active state where you are fully present. Mindfulness teaches one to observe feelings and thoughts without defining them as “wrong or right”.
Living in a mindful way means enjoying this very moment without fretting about the next moment. It’s not always easy to do when you first get started, but eventually, it gets easier, especially when you have a list of soulful morning practices at your fingertips.
*We recommend that you write these down somewhere as a reminder to rise with purpose.
13 Soulful Morning Practices to Start Your Day Mindfully
Set aside as little as three minutes, or as much as an hour, each morning to refocus and recharge. It may seem silly at first, but we guarantee you’ll find fulfillment the more you commit to doing them.
- Pray, meditate, or both.
- Perform breathing exercises.
- Enjoy an intentional shower ritual using soap designed to lift your aura.
- Stretch, foam-roll, or self-massage.
- Practice yoga (hatha yoga is particularly good for mindfulness.)
- Get creative: play an instrument, sing, dance, paint, or write poetry.
- Journal: jot down your dreams, your goals, what you're grateful for or whatever else comes to mind.
- Immerse yourself in nature: walk near a park, garden, or birdwatch.
- Snuggle your kids/partner and/or play with your pets.
- Use an aroma spray: spritz above your head, take 5 deep breaths, relax your mind.
- Embrace clean eating: prepare your meal while intentionally telling yourself how nourishing it will be for your mind, body and soul.
- Recite positive affirmations with a smile in front of the mirror.
- Visualize the 3 most impactful things you could today to achieve your mental/emotional/physical/financial/spiritual goals.
Creating fulfilling, positive morning rituals will surely benefit your productivity and attitude throughout the day. Mindfulness activities, like those listed above, have been shown to lower stress levels, reduce anxiety and depression, as well as increase people’s coping mechanisms when practiced regularly.
So, take those few extra minutes for yourself. Even a simple, hot bath with an aromatherapy soap can completely alter how well your day goes. Imagine how refreshed and focused you'd feel!