Why would you smear cow fat anywhere on your body?
Well, for starters it
• has a wealth of nutrients,
• feels amazing and
• is NOT the latest fad (it's actually been around for thousands of years).
Let’s explore further…
When a cow is processed for its beef, the fat surrounding the animal’s organs, called “suet”, is removed.
The suet is further processed into clarified oil by boiling the suet with water and progressively straining it.
Once purified, the fat is called “tallow”, is shelf-stable, great for cooking and superb for skin care.
But why is it so superb for skincare you may be asking. Here goes…
5 REASONS TO USE COW FAT ON YOUR FACE
1. Tallow from grass-fed cows (commercial “cow factory farms” need not apply) contains high amounts of CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid). This essential fatty acid aides in optimal skin health, has been shown to fight cancer and helps the body convert fat into lean muscle tissue.
2. Grass-fed tallow contains vitamins A, D and K, along with the powerful antioxidant Vitamin E and anti-microbial palmitoleic acid.
3. Grass fed tallow is biologically similar to the oily secretions in our skin known as sebum. Both are 50-55% saturated fat and consist mainly of triglycerides which allows for easy absorption of nutrients.
4. Using grass fed tallow on your face might help you keep your ‘young-as-a-spring-chicken’ look as tallow has been known to boost collagen production and reduce inflammation (puffiness).
5. And finally, because unless your vegetarian/vegan, using fat from a cow is no different than eating meat from a cow. By using the fat, you reduce what would be considered the “waste” of the animal, thereby respectfully utilizing more parts of the cow.
How Can You Get Tallow?
Tallow is sometimes available at local supermarkets near the cooking oils. Make sure it is “grass-fed” to ensure you benefit from all that was mentioned above.
If you are the DIY type, you can render it yourself at home. Instructions coming soon....
And if you are not the Do it yourself-er, feel free to browse our selection of tallow products designed to nourish and hydrate your delicate skin.